One Pink Toothbrush

Welcome to One Pink Toothbrush, where I will be posting moments from my days as a mum and as a wife. Funny moments, messy moments, thoughtful moments, teary moments.... and hopefully using each moment to see what God might be saying.



Tuesday 9 January 2018

New Year, New You

So it's January again... I nearly managed to keep last year's Resolution, which was to keep my bank cards in my wallet. And the husband was right, (as he so often is on this subject), you do lose your cards less, if they're kept in a wallet, in a bag, rather than in a back pocket! Ha Who knew?!

I'm not really one for New Year's Resolutions, mainly because I just don't stick to stuff, and it feels really constrictive. But this year I have been unwillingly challenged in a few places, which is really not fair this early on in the diary...

A friend of mine shared a blog post about finishing the last year well, with the hope of starting the next one well too. You can read it here. I responded with 'eurgh I hate these things', like the mature godly woman that I am. I don't know what it is about those things that make me squirm; possibly the non completer/finisher in me, possibly it's being married to Mr systematic, (he would LOVE this blog post, and probably suggest that we read it together every week), possibly it's the fear of being boxed in, maybe it's laziness, I don't know. But for the first time, I felt compelled to not only read the blog post, but give it some actual thought and time, and even practically do what it says! 

This, alongside being challenged by a couple of friends of mine to follow Allie Casazza on Instagram. (Shes a de-cluttering guru, who encourages people to think of a word or phrase for the year ahead; something that will inspire you, spur you on, refocus you etc.) After joking about the words 'Shallow' and 'Prosecco', I completed the above blog post challenge, and I have come up with the word 'Intentional', which I kept forgetting at first. But now it's staying put for the year, and now I've told all of you, so there's no backing out of it.

I feel like God has spoken to me about my negative view of words/blog posts/conversations etc on structure, routine, disciplines, resetting, focus, goals even.... and He would actually like me to use some of these things to be more intentional with what He has called me to do. Challenge accepted! Mmm...not that easy is it, if it's just not your comfort zone. Happy to have 6 kids and live at a fast pace, and high capacity. Not so happy to add structure and a time table into my week, in case I cant be me anymore. I am however made in God's image, and He is all about the order, and the spontaneous all at once, so I'll take His lead. Always a good idea!

So in case you want to know, this year I aim to be more intentional in the following areas;
*Intentionally reading the Bible daily (for me and for the benefit of others).
*Be intentional with my time 'right now' and for the week ahead.
*Be intentional with my parenting and my marriage.
*Intentionally trying not to get frustrated with the kids.
*Be more intentional with a certain blog I write.
*Be an intentional encourager!
*Ask God to speak to/through me.

Let me know if God speaks to you, if you have a word for the year ahead, or ask me about my list...

"Now may the God of peace...
 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever." Hebrews 13v20-21


No comments:

Post a Comment